Top 15 Best Vulnerability Scanner Tools in Cybersecurity. In this post, we introduce Vulnerability Scanning solutions and explain best vulnerability scanner tools to secure your infrastructure.
All in all, vulnerability scanning and assessment to management, all share a significant cybersecurity principle. In turn, that restricts hackers from getting in. An essential IT security needs to scan for vulnerabilities and patch them through a Patch Management System.
- Rank security flaws to help developers during remediation.
- Automates their vulnerability discovery process.
- Continuously scans networks and applications for new threats.
However, which Vulnerability Scanner tool is the best? To know more, dive deep into the blog.
Let’s start this article blog about Top 15 Best Vulnerability Scanner Tools in Cybersecurity.
What is Vulnerability Scanning?
Vulnerability scanning involves continuously scanning networks and applications to identify the latest security flaws. In addition, it provides ranked vulnerabilities with actionable steps for remediation.
Afterwards, many assessments also provide checklists to monitor your system and keep your security team active between tests.
Basically, vulnerability assessments help prevent unauthorized system access by streamlining remediation process and providing consistent security insights within broader penetration testing.
Types of Vulnerability Assessment Tools
Interestingly, vulnerability scanners have their ways of doing things. We can classify vulnerability scanners into four types based on how they work.
- Network Based Vulnerability Scanner – It finds vulnerabilities in an internal network by scanning for open ports. Services running on open ports identify whether vulnerabilities exist or not with the help of the tool.
- Database Based Vulnerability Scanner – This database finds vulnerabilities in database management systems. As a matter of fact, databases are the backbone of any system storing sensitive information. Another key point. vulnerability scanning performed on this system enables you to prevent attacks like SQL injection.
- Host Based Vulnerabilities Scanner – With the help of this vulnerability scanner, you find vulnerabilities on a single host or system, including an individual computer or a network device like a switch or a core router.
So what are the top 15 Best Vulnerability Scanner Tools in Cybersecurity. Let’s find out.
15 Best Vulnerability Scanner Tools in Cybersecurity
As a result, vulnerability scanners detect weaknesses in an application in several ways. Code vulnerability scanners analyse coding errors. Additionally, vulnerability checking tools find known rootkits, backdoors and Trojans.
There are many vulnerability scanners on the market. As seen, it can be free, paid, or open source. Mostly free and open source tools are available on GitHub. The decision to use a device depends on several factors, such as the type of vulnerability, budget, and how often the tool is updated.
1. Rapid7 InsightVM (Nexpose)
Rapid7 InsightVM is a premium open source vulnerability scanning solution. What is great about it, is that it automatically scans and assesses physical, cloud, and virtual infrastructures. As shown, it has live and interactive dashboards, solution based remediation, risk scoring, and prioritization.
Comparatively, this tool automatically scans and detects all new devices connected to a network to provide real time vulnerability identification. Moreover, it offers a lightweight endpoint agent for processing information while consuming minimum bandwidth.
Pros of Rapid7 InsightVM
- Updates its processes and rescans whenever it detects a new exploit.
- It perform system wide scanning immediately and also instantly scans new assets.
- Easily assigns and tracks remediation duties.
Cons of Rapid7 InsightVM
- Requires a lot of RAM.
- A lot of issues with scans running long out of nowhere, causing resource issues for the next scans.
- Devices found and scanned are never removed. Removal must be done manually with no option for automation.
- Does not contain an associated patch manager.
2. Burp Suite Enterprise Edition
Burp Suite provides automated vulnerability scanning tools for both internal and external testing. More then 14,000 organizations use Burp Suite to automate web vulnerability scanning. Designed to scan at any scale, and integration with software development processes. Moreover, its various tools work seamlessly together to support the entire testing process.
Pros of Burp Suite Enterprise Edition
- Manual penetration testing and configuration tweaks.
- Great extensions through the store that extend functionality.
- Helps you proxy all the web based requests which can even be modified when sent or received..
Cons of Burp Suite Enterprise Edition
- Doesn’t describe how to test different vulnerabilities, which can be challenging if you are a new user of this tool.
- Setup for proxies is difficult and took some time to get setup.
- The interface is outdated and uses tabs for everything.
Nikto is an open source vulnerability scanning tool that focuses on web application security. Consequently, it can find 6700 harmful files that cause issues to web servers and report outdated server based versions. In addition, Nikto2 can alert you to server configuration issues and perform web server checks in the shortest possible time.
As well as, with Nikto2, it does not provide countermeasures for the vulnerabilities found and does not provide risk assessment capabilities. However, Nikto2 is a frequently updated tool that allows for broader vulnerability coverage.
Pros of Nikto2
- Generate reports on detected vulnerability.
- It thoroughly checks numerous exploits that paid vulnerability managers to seek.
Cons of Nikto2
- Won’t work without a paid vulnerability list.
- Does not contain a development and support team.
4. Qualys Vulnerability Management
Qualys Vulnerability Management Scanner works behind firewalls in complex internal networks. This tool can scan cloud environments, and detect vulnerabilities in geographically dispersed networks. It also monitors containers and endpoints.
An intuitive and customizable dashboard provides a unified view of all censored web applications and assets. Prices may be higher than other services, but their comprehensive protection is comprehensive.
Pros of Qualys
- Unified dashboard for security posture.
- Visibility of cloud security configuration issues.
- Offers wide range of settings for more targeted scans.
Cons of Qualys
- Addressing false positives.
- Navigation is pretty complex and involves a lot of pages to click through.
- Some task selected sensors are automated.
- The UI interface is cumbersome for newbies.
Another Top 15 Best Vulnerability Scanner Tools in Cybersecurity Nessus. Equally, is one such software that offers deep vulnerability scanning through a subscription based service. Hackers use Nessus to identify misconfigurations, discover default passwords, and perform vulnerability assessments.
Pros of Nessus
- It can constantly update the CVE database.
- Has multiple profiles/policies to perform different types of scans.
- It ranks and groups vulnerabilities accurately with little configuration.
- Quite affordable than similar tools on the market.
Cons of Nessus
- Scanning larger data sets is a very difficult task.
- It takes a long time to complete scans.
Netsparker is another web application vulnerability tool with automation to detect vulnerabilities. The device can also find thousands of web application vulnerabilities within hours. This is an enterprise grade paid vulnerability tool, but it has many advanced features. There are scanning techniques that scan applications for vulnerabilities.
Especially, it scan applications for vulnerabilities. Netsparker describes and provides mitigation techniques for discovered vulnerabilities. Security solutions for advanced vulnerability assessment are also available.
Pros of Netsparker
- Many DevOps integration possibilities.
- Designed for a larger organization.
- Extreme amount of customization for scanning any web application.
- It has several DevOps integration possibilities.
Cons of Netsparker
- Offers a few flexible plans.
- Very few vulnerabilities can be detected compared to its competitors.
- The desktop version consume so many resources.
- Available only for desktop or cloud versions.
7. AT&T Cybersecurity
AT&T’s Cyber Vulnerability Scanning solution is delivered as a managed service. Evidently, it helps identify security vulnerabilities in systems, web applications, and network devices. A vulnerability scanner is part of a more effective tool that includes SIEM and intrusion detection. Known vulnerability signatures are constantly updated as new vulnerabilities are identified by AlienVault Labs and the Open Threat Exchange intelligence community. Possibly the best managed service for IT departments that lack cybersecurity expertise.
Pros of AT&T Cybersecurity
- Provides essential security capabilities in a single console to manage compliance and threats.
- Offers threat intelligence, collaborative defense, security without the seams, and solutions that fit any business.
- Allows organizations to terminate malicious processes, quarantine infected devices, and roll back events to keep endpoints clean.
Cons of AT&T Cybersecurity
- The product is very complex.
- Implementation was clunky and cumbersome.
OpenVAS is an open source vulnerability detection software. The platform offers a variety of scan options, including network scan, web server scan, and database scan. The scanner obtains the tests for detecting vulnerabilities from a feed that has a long history and daily updates. The tool is capable to scan low and high level protocols. By all means, it has a powerful internal programming language to implement any type of vulnerability test.
Pros of Openvas
- Support for Unix based operating systems.
- Has a built in functionality of generating reports of the vulnerabilities found and their severity.
- Its source code is public, and anyone can contribute to the tool.
- Provide the features of being configured by the product users in line with their own requirements and desires.
- Its CVE coverage is around 26,000, from which the vulnerabilities and bugs are searched and tested on the underlying infrastructure.
Cons of Openvas
- It compares to less vulnerability.
- Provides limited OS Support.
- Difficult to install, configure and to use.
W3AF is a free and open source tool called Web Application Attack and Framework. This tool is an open source tool for detecting vulnerabilities in web applications. Build a framework that helps protect web applications by detecting and exploiting vulnerabilities. In addition to vulnerability scanning options, W3AF has to control facilities used for penetration testing.
Additionally, W3AF covers an extensive range of vulnerabilities. Domains frequently attacked, particularly newly identified vulnerabilities, can choose this tool.
Pros of W3AF
- Very modular and flexible.
- It can be installed seamlessly in Linux environments.
- Best tool for beginners as it is easy to learn and use.
- Helps in generating valuable reports.
- Can automate numerous tasks.
Cons of W3AF
- Number of false negatives is still high.
- Its windows version is arduous to install.
- Has a complex GUI (Graphical User Interface).
10. Alibaba Cloud Managed Security Service
Alibaba offers a SaaS based managed service for port scanning, and vulnerability assessment to eliminate false positives. To prevent reputational damage, the service uses machine learning to identify web and backdoor vulnerabilities, illegal content, and site manipulation.
By the same token, Alibaba simplifies the process by performing unlimited scans that require no installation, update, or maintenance. This is ideal for non US companies, given the cloud focused and ongoing trade antagonism between the US and China.
Pros of Alibaba Cloud Managed Security Service
- Widely used by large organizations.
- Provide dynamic acceleration abilities.
- Dynamic Content Delivery Network.
- Professional Safeguard.
Cons of Alibaba Cloud Managed Security Service
- Has a potential compliance issue.
- Lacks in customer service.
Intruder.io provides a suite of penetration and vulnerability scanning tools. Organizations can use Intruder.io to conduct a single assessment or constantly monitor their environment for threats.
Pros of Intruder.io
- Easy to use interface that lets you get scanning quickly.
- Straight forward and publicly viewable pricing model.
- Scans allow for tagging to help organise groupings.
- Emerging threat scan will check for newly released vulnerabilities as soon as there’s a check.
Cons of Intruder.io
- Offers little in depth reporting.
- Support for password less workflows for the authenticated web app scanning.
Arachni is also a vulnerability tool dedicated to web applications. This tool covers multiple vulnerabilities and is updated regularly. The archaeologist provides facilities for risk assessment and suggests advice and countermeasures to vulnerabilities found.
Furthermore, Arachni is a free, open source vulnerability tool that supports Linux, Windows, and macOS. It also supports penetration testing due to its ability to address newly identified vulnerabilities.
Pros of Arachni
- It progresses through all of the critical tests.
- Offers both a command line interface and a browser based GUI.
- It provides the impressive output and insightful explanations.
- Offers a range of testing modes.
Cons of Arachni
- It takes a long time to run.
- It has been abandoned
13. Amazon Inspector
For AWS stores, Amazon Inspector is an automated security assessment service. You can scan any application deployed on AWS and scale it to Amazon EC2 instances. After scanning and vulnerability assessment, the tool provides a detailed list of potential vulnerabilities classified by risk level. It can also detect a lack of security best practices in applications during execution and deployment.
Pros of Amazon Inspector
- Automates the security assessment of your applications and proactively identifies vulnerabilities.
- Allows you to develop and iterate on new applications quickly, and assess compliance with best practices and policies.
- It performs both a network and host level assessment.
- Ability to solve problems automatically without human interference.
Cons of Amazon Inspector
- Billing for Amazon Inspector is a little bit tricky when you set it up to work with other services.
- Lack of some of the custom protection.
Nmap is a free, open source network analysis tool popular among many security professionals. It uses probe technology for network host finding and operating system detection. This feature helps to identify vulnerabilities in single or multiple networks. If you’re new or just learning a bit about vulnerability scanning, Nmap is an excellent place to start.
Pros of NMAP
- Includes scanning methods to avoid IDS.
- Offers GUI functionality through Zenmap
- Comprehensive port scanning of both TCP and UDP ports.
- Very configurable. You can choose exactly what you want to scan for, limit to port ranges, protocols, IPs, etc.
Cons of NMAP
- It does not update as frequently as paid tools.
- On Windows, not all functions are available.
- If you do not limit your scan range, a command can take a really long time to complete
Last on our list of Top 15 Best Vulnerability Scanner Tools in Cybersecurity is Acunetix. Even more, it is another tool that only scans web based applications. But its multi threaded scanner can quickly crawl hundreds of thousands of pages and detect common web server configuration issues. Perfect for checking WordPress. So, those with a large WordPress post should consider it.
Pros of Acunetix
- Low rate of false positives.
- Good reporting options.
- Supports importing state files from other popular application testing tools.
Cons of Acunetix
- Poor user management.
- Does not support multiple endpoints well.
- Has authentication problems with modern enterprise apps.
Thank you for reading Top 15 Best Vulnerability Scanner Tools in Cybersecurity. We shall conclude.
Top 15 Best Vulnerability Scanner Tools in Cybersecurity Conclusion
Summing up, whichever vulnerability scanning tool you decide to use, choosing the ideal tool depends on your security needs and your ability to analyse your system. Please identify and fix security vulnerabilities before it’s too late. Now check each tool’s function and choose the one that is right for you.
Vulnerability Scanners can identify vulnerabilities, classify them based on how severe their threat is and generate reports that include suggestions on how to address them in the best possible manner.